View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
How much overweight would you say you are?

My suggestion for the run is to start out slower, and train longer. Start so slow that you feel like you are going too slow. If you start too fast you get worn quickly and have no gas to finish strong. Is the time still something like 18 minutes for 2 miles? Thats 9 minute miles, which is not too difficult. Instead of training for 2 miles, run at least 3. I don't care how out of shape you are, if you start out slow and pace yourself you can make it all 3 miles. You've got to put your mind in another place and stay mentally strong. As you run the 3 miles for a couple weeks you will notice minutes being shaved off your time. After 6 weeks you should be getting a lot faster.

I hated running in high school. When I started trying to run for 5k's, it turns out I love it. The key to making it is to pace yourself. When I start out for the first mile I have to really hold myself back from going to fast. After the first mile I am fully warmed up, and can speed up a bit. At the start of the 3rd mile I can feel my legs and lungs working hard, but since I paced myself I can still speed up to finish strong. Over the course of a few months I went from 45 minutes down to 30 minutes for 3 miles.