Thread: Tesla
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
To be honest, I had not realized that Tesla took a loan from the government, but according to the article, the loan returned profit. My dad is a Ford man and he always says that Ford begged, borrowed, and stole (hopefully not that last one) everything they could to avoid bankruptcy and taking money from the government, and that GM and Chrysler are paying back less than they borrowed.

From the article:
Quote:
Daimler has 4.87 million Tesla shares valued at $425 million, while Toyota has 2.94 million shares valued at $257 million, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
I wonder if the target of 200 miles at $40,000 is factoring in the cost of batteries going down. If not, hopefully it'll be really aerodynamic.
More details (from the article):
Quote:
In the interview yesterday, he said he hasn’t had any discussions with Apple beyond iPhone integration, and isn’t looking to be acquired by anyone until he can produce “a compelling, affordable car” that is less expensive than the Model S and nicer than Nissan Motor Co. (7201)’s electric-powered Leaf.

“With the Model S, you have a compelling car that’s too expensive for most people,” he said. “And you have the Leaf, which is cheap, but it’s not great. What the world really needs is a great, affordable electric car. I’m not going to let anything go, no matter what people offer, until I complete that mission.”
Quote:
Musk has beaten odds that felled John DeLorean and Preston Tucker. The Model S sedan, priced from $69,900, snagged Motor Trend magazine’s Car of the Year and a rave review from Consumer Reports.

Should Tesla remain a going concern, it would be the first new U.S. automaker to do so since Walter Chrysler founded Chrysler Corp. in 1925.
I understand that the Tucker was a great car, while the DeLorean was not. I doubt that anyone would claim the difference was that Musk did not name the company for himself.

They plan on developing an electric SUV before the "lower-priced model."

I apologize to anyone who read the article, since I just repeated what you already read. Usually, when someone links an article or a YouTube video, I skip ahead to see what others comment about it, because there are other things that I should be doing.