View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #42 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I have difficulty sleeping without listening to music, so I have my laptop play Classical.

Once the screen turns off, it would still use way more energy than a normal stereo, right?

I have one of those. I taped up the box years ago when I shipped off for adventures and, like many things, it is waiting for me to settle in somewhere.

To be honest, I really do not know where I would put it, but now that I am less than a mile from the station, hopefully I would finally have good reception!

This came up with my mother and she asked "Isn't that a very expensive stereo?"

"I didn't purchase it just to play music!"

"Of course not! You are just wearing it out faster!"

Many non-computer people have told me that computers are not designed to run all day, while I have always heard from computer people that leaving them running is fine, but turning them on and off can cause premature damage.

I doubt that turning it on and off once or twice a day would make a difference and I cannot imagine that being an issue when you can put it to sleep or hibernate, which is faster anyway.

What do you guys say about occupying landfills more slowly? Leaving computers running or turning them on and off?