View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #55 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xterracanuck View Post
Grill block still scares me though, especially being in New Orleans. I've got some coroplast so I might try making a belly pan. Considering I've already got skid plates, It'd just be filling in the gaps really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by night9 View Post
I have been driving in 100*F+ weather with the upper grill blocked. The engine temp didn't go above 198*F, which is normal for my car. Its safe so long as you watch your gauges and test for the appropriate amount of grill block.
Sorry to get off topic, DD, but please checkout other threads on the grille blocks [, xterracanuck]. Making it easy to remove (zip ties?) will help if you ever get nervous. I get to 221* (the highest it ever goes) and my temp gauge is still slightly leaning towards cool. It always drops lower, climbs back up, drops off, so on- maybe the fan turning on. Also note, if you don't block the two grilles (I have two, you may just have one big one), that air going in there has to go out somewhere, which may be though the bottom- keep in mind when building your underbody.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.