View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
After reading some threads where both maintaining lower speeds and aero mods were discussed, I began to think these two are mutually exclusive.
Aero mods are only effective at higher speeds and one would even question if increased skin drag at lower speed would result in negative impacts.......
I have a 3.5 foot long tail on my car, so I can speak of several benefits:

1) I drive slowly in the country side, and the tail has a very obvious benefit to those who come up behind me. They immediately know that something is going on with the car, *because* of the tail and usually do two things. 1) Pass or 2) take pictures/videos, gawk, or otherwise study the shape, then move on.

1a) People are way more inclined to promptly pass, rather than wondering why this person is driving so slowly and then hesitating to pass, if I did not have the tail on the car.

2) Ever watch the Tour deFrance and notice men with tights, elongated helmets, bikes with airfoil shaped frame tubes and so on? They are counting grams of air drag force, and all the aero shapes help to make them more efficient. Could you imagine riding a *normal* road bike at 30 mph for one hour without these benefits?

3) How about anyone with a Velomobile. Imagine being able to *cruise* at 30 mph instead of 20 mph. The airfoil on the bike allows this to happen.

4) The tail still gives me a 5% increase in fuel mileage at the slow speeds I drive at, and yes, I will gladly take this small increase. If I happen to take a road trip on the highway, which does happen on occasion, the tail is ready and waiting.

4a) Summer road construction has forced me to take a different route, and these can include highway driving, so the tail is definitely nice to have.

Jim.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-12-2013)