View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #80 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
To fill "voids" (fog lights), yes great foam works great...but i think the key is to resin your "plug" right after you sand it down. Therefore, your "plug" will retain its shape.

then use bondo to smooth out and perfect the edges (unfortunately, this will require hours of sanding).

then you gotta figure something out to mount the "plug" from behind. Its a lot of extra work, but it'll look a lot nicer than "coroplast cut to shape"

I got lucky with my fog lights, the "void" was not that big so i can get away with using "coroplast cut to shap"
Somehow I always visualized the mess of just spraying Great Stuff into my fog lights and smoothing it down. It might hold until the insulation shears.

How about I do plasti-dipped coroplast and then replace it with fiberglass, also held by double-sided tape?

Somewhere I saw foam sheeting linked. It was awfully thin and basically came on giant pages, with perforations to break off each one. One of those would probably work as a good core, putting fiberglass on the outside, but I would use such a small fraction of it for this job!

Plus, I do not have any idea where to order it!