View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #79 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdigger View Post
I do wish you didn't take every comment as a blood-libel, personal insult. It is tiresome, and leaves only one way to avoid it. A general hostility to ideas was on this project long before, too. Ever wonder why 0.86 never made it to 0.87? It could also be, that no one drives pre-96 cars anymore, but in this economy, that's doubtful.
Somebody else, not too long ago, tried to put together an MPGuino with a Parallax serial LCD display, and your answer was... go buy the correct part. You didn't try to point the individual toward a good reference, like others in this thread have done, and you didn't try to interact with him to try to solve the problem. Had I known then what I know now about MPGuino, I would have tried to help that person get his board to run with a serial LCD. Hey, my code happens to support that particular serial LCD now! Too bad that person got discouraged at the response you gave him.

It's much the same as with the other things in this MPGuino forum - all of the things I've done or added to the code, are in response to things that other people here have asked about, or tried to implement. One really big example stands out... Returnless fuel support!

Point is, the idea behind this thread is to make available a next-generation MPGuino software that will run on existing hardware, that can easily be adapted to new commercially produced hardware, and that will add features that will make MPGuino more attractive to people that are looking at a $150 OBD gauge that is not as accurate. That means, in part, being able to use the existing hardware, even as flawed as it is.

So - about this "blood libel" comment of yours - When I read arrogant ((example 1, 1st half), (example 1, 2nd half)), lazy ("I thought cli also shut off timers", "I haven't taken a closer look at the specs.. doesn't sound promising"), dismissive ("I'm not sure it really makes a big difference.", "too bad it costs so much", "a neat idea, but... offputting") comments, I tend to get put off by the commenter after a while. That's just the way I am.