View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 03:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierrel View Post
Hey! Some major things happened in life last spring, but now I'm back, altleast a bit. I'm going to do an oil change In the morning, and I bought some fully synthetic 0W30 oil today. How has your engine held up? Did you see any effects what so ever? Winter is coming with freezing levels, and I think the 0W will make good for cold starts. Though I do have some "rattles" from what I think is the lifters. Hopelly this will get better after the oil change. IF the viscosity isn't to low!....

Thoughts?
I've been pleased with the results I've had since changing to the 0-30 Mobil-1 oil. I was routinely getting over 60 mpg for a few tanks during the summer.

In addition to the synthetic motor oil, I also changed to a synthetic transaxle fluid - Redline ultralight synchromesh gear oil. Between the two, there was a big improvement. The new synthetic gear oil gave an improvement in coasting performance I could actually feel!

With the approach of the "winter half" of the year, I'm again contemplating a change to 0-20 motor oil. That same oil has been in there since March and I think it's time for a change - it's starting to look a little dirty. I had bought 5 quarts of the 0-20 when the new engine was installed, but let my mechanic talk me out of it and use the 0-30 instead. But I'm thinking the cooler half of the year might be a safer time to try the 0-20. I had intended to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge to moniter the oil pressure both before and after the change, but alas, I haven't done that yet either. ...

But the engine is holding up really well with the 0-30 Mobil-1. - runs really well, still nice & clean like new, so there aren't any leaks or anything like that. Also, I haven't had to add any since that initial fill, about 8,000 miles ago, so I take that as a great sign, too.