View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Meet Lester <--- Backstory; this truck isn't mine, so anything done to it has to be cool, undetectable and/or removeable. Hence the roof rack, kammback combo; cool and removeable. If somebody has an idea to make an easily removeable air dam (without using screws - no screw holes allowed! ), then I am all ears. The truck is already mostly belly panned, just not as flat as it could be. Remember this is an offroad vehicle, so things like large wheel to fender space and such are going to have to stay for now.

Also, a roof rack will be used for various events (snowboards, kayak, etc.). Even though I will be increasing frontal area, I am hoping I can improve drag to a point where I want it to be and be able to modify it as needed (I can't make major modifications to the truck itself, obviously).

FYI, I toof the cross bars off last night at about a quarter tank left, so will report back any improvements next week after a full tank of driving.

Thanks for the replies guys!

-------------------------
Xist, when I setup the template to the truck I wasn't worried about the bottom at all. I was trying to line up the template to the point where the windshield and roof meet and the point where the roof and rear hatch meet. I don't want to build a boat tail (yet), just a kammback attached to a roof rack. Do you think from the position of my template the rear end angles down too hard, too fast compared to yours, where it is much more elongated? If I add a new/modified belly pan, my plan is actually to start sloping it upwards basically immediately as much as possible, that way when it leaves the rear end, it will already be starting the "boattail". Does that make sense?

I just realized, am I supposed to line up the '0º' of the template to the end of the rear corner of the truck?

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.