View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Ben's Pimpin' Purple S10

Hey Guys,

I just bought a used truck today.

It's a 1998 Chevrolet S10 extended cab.
  • 2.2l 4-cylinder engine
  • 5-speed manual transmission
  • Lowered from stock about 6 inches. (It is LOW!)
  • Custom paint job - I believe it is a metallic red coat over a black base. It looks red, purple, or even brown, depending on the light.
  • 240,000 miles (engine rebuilt 100,000 miles ago)
  • Air-conditioning (First time I've had that on a truck. Nice to have the OPTION to use AC when it's really hot.)
  • Very Dark Window Tinting (Helps keep cool in hot summer sun.)
  • Manual everything else - No power windows, locks, etc.
  • Manually adjustable air suspension in rear

The interior is very clean. Extended cab features two fold-down "jump-seats". These are good for children. My wife and I have a 3-year old girl. This will be perfect for us to be able to pull a camping trailer while seating three.

Driver's seat is worn out, as it seems like they always are on S10s. The driver's seat tilt is broken, and replaced by a Vise-Grips left permanently in its place. I saw some used bucket seats on Craigslist I am going to try to get and install. And I think the joke is on the seller, because I've really been looking for a new pair of Vise-Grips!

The inside of the bed is a bit beat-up, but I have a drop-in plastic bed-liner which should make that look much nicer.

Gas tank leaks.
Power-steering gearbox looks like it has a slow leak
Differential looks like it has a slow leak.

Didn't come with an air-box. Nope, not just missing the airfilter, but the entire air-filter housing was missing. Good thing I just happen to have a large pile of spare S10 parts around.... Let's see here.... Why yes I do just happen to have an air-box. Now for the right hose to attach it with.... Hmm, might have to mod something.

I drove it back home on the freeway about 35 miles, and then some running around town today. Looks like I should be able to hit 30MPG in good weather.

The tires are 44 psi and look pretty new. LOTS of good tread on them. They are the narrower of the stock tires I've seen on S10s.

This will be my long-range daily-driver/work truck.

I don't have too much in mind for immediate eco-mods, other than just fixing what isn't working right on it right now. I have a block heater I may try adding sometime soon.

I'd also like to work on an aero-cap as a winter project.

That's it for now! My old S10 was pretty good for what it was. Got 30 MPG and could tow, haul, carry my motorcycle, etc, but no amount of will-power could hold it together anymore. Once the rear bumper AND exhaust system fell off on the same day, that should have been a good indication that it was time for something different!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 10-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: forgot the photo!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (10-04-2013), Joggernot (10-03-2013)