View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Your mods look good. Funny, I sealed the bottom front corners on my Mk IV with coroplast. We think alike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
Diesel's like air, the more the better and cold air is denser so more air per unit of volume. What you might want to consider is a RAM air cold intake. High EGT's is what kills diesel engines, the hotter the air intake the higher the EGT's, running the engine hotter may yield a small benefit in FE, but it's false economy when engine longevity is compromised.
If you hypermile slow and easy on the flat land of Texas you may be fine with such extensive grill blocking, especially if you are not using A/C. I monitor Intake Air Temperature (IAT) on my ScanGuage and it can go to over 200 F on long climbs in the Rockies. IIRC I read somewhere that a degree of intake temp increase is like 3 degrees of Exhaust Gas Temperature. I have the top left grill block open to feed cool high pressure air to the factory ram air intake. I have the intercooler grill open except in winter when I block part of it.

I have a full belly pan from the front to the back bumper. Check my album. I have loaded some pics. I only screwed into plastic- body plugs, bumper edge etc. There is a wind deflector plastic ahead of the fuel tank of the Golf. I pulled it off so I didn't drill into the tank but I have a couple of screws into that plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.