View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #33 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
I lol'ed that the OP hates stop signs, but don't bother to hate on stop lights, stop signs are static... stop lights change timings etc where I live based on week day vs weekend and time of day/night.

Anyway, I don't really P&G much, but I drive based on what I have learned about P&G. I take off @ ~80% load based on the ultra load gauge, probably around 11.5-12 map sensor reading. Once I'm at speed I normally don't gain anything P&G on flat ground, however any hills etc (most are pretty small, like overpass small), I'll EOC up the hill where I know by the time I'm at the bottom of the hill again, I'll be going around my target speed. I try to EOC to stop signs, stop lights are a pain since I drive into work at night and go home in the morning, so timing isn't all that easy, and the fact the green light is very short lived on the road I take.

Before I moved, I got slightly better MPG on a route with about the same number of stops, but the stops were all closer together, and had a long stright run at 50mph (higher traffic road), my new route is about the same distance, but I take more back roads and travel 45mph as I probably only see 8 cars a night on a 40 mile trip.

When I tested out some P&G back in the summer months, I had to go from 50mph down to around 15mph to gain anything at all, and I was EOC for the glide. If I P&G up to 50mph and down to ~5mph I was seeing pretty impressive numbers (65-70mpg), but that is just about not possible to do with traffic around, even the little I see of it.