View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Eliminating the Throttle Using a Bleed Off Valve

Was thinking, would it be possible to eliminate the throttle plate if the air intake had some sort of bleed off valve similar to a turbo or an adjustable pressure regulator? My original thought would be that as you step on the gas, less and less air gets bled off. By doing this, it would be as if you are at WOT at all times, but the "extra" air is released to atmosphere (or wherever), eliminating the need for the throttle, so the engine has one less thing to work against.

I'm thinking something like this transducer. It takes a signal input from 4-20 mA and provides an output of varying PSI of air. You could attach some sort of signal inducer to the accelerator pedal sensor which would put out the appropriate signal to the transducer which will allow the proper amount of air into the intake.

The other option would be a Variable Bleed Valve, which apparently is a popular part in the aerospace world. It would allow the necessary amount of air to be bled off, while limiting the restriction on airflow into the intake. This option would be different, because it would use all of the air coming in and divert it to the appropriate place, whereas the transducer would only put out the amount of air needed.

Would either of these work and if they did, would it improve efficiency at all? Would it require a turbo/super to pre-charge the air, or could it work at atmospheric pressure?

I attached a quick Paint sketch of the transducer option, because I am a visual person and to give everybody an idea of what I am thinking. I assume the VBV option would have a similar setup.

FYI, the links I included is just an idea of what I'm thinking about, not the ones I would use, unless it made sense.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.