View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Hi,

The 22R is a 2.4 liter (2366cc) engine. Unless you find somebody's stroker project, in which case anything could happen. You also can find some that have had their stock heads replaced with 20R heads, which breathe more freely for better power, but I don't know if that changes the displacement at all.

I don't have much room to comment on the 4x4 but I think it's a bit weird you're seeing such a wide range of mileage. I assume you're following a pretty consistent pattern of trips, or else the mileage spread wouldn't be noteworthy. I don't know what to tell you there, except that maybe you're seeing an intermittent fault in a sensor on the FI system.

Based on your description of the project truck, I would recommend you strongly consider making the 4x2 into your project, if its frame is okay. The chainsaw bar repair is laughable, but only because I'm not in a position to drive it. If that's the quality of work you're seeing, I wouldn't trust it any farther than I can throw it.

Air dams are your friend. Make a sturdy one under the bumper and then add landscape edging to take it down even lower. If you go off road and the edging gets torn off by landscape, well, you can get more for cheap at Home Depot. But in the meantime it'll save you a few bucks. You can also add edging to create rocker skirts for more/better air control.

I would assume you have tires that are wide enough to disallow fender skirts out back, but if they fall inside the body line at all then cover them.

One of these days I'm going to convert my truck from the stock Aisin carb to a Weber, but it's not cheap. I understand the Weber conversion is supposed to be a big improvement in both power and economy, and since the little truck was never a big torque monster any improvement is a good thing. The Aisin gets the job done, but I like the idea of having that capability of dragging around a half-ton of firewood AND getting better highway mileage than a new Corolla. But with the higher power requirements of pushing a 4x4 down the road, you might do better to move a project like that higher up the list.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.