View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #38 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
64.02 mpg on the just completed tank (probably would have been 66.5 if I had stayed with my usual pump/station).

I drive this car a lot more on the freeway now, which was part of the reason for the transmission swap. I wanted the option without having to drive 50mph to keep rpms down. The taller gearing of thei 1993 CX transmission is amazing on the freeway, and on some of the secondary roads too. I'll drive some of the secondary roads before hitting the freeway at 40-45 mph in 5th gear, turning merely 1300 rpms maybe and getting anything from 70-100mpg readings on my gauge, depending on load (27%-33% or so). Warms the car up for the freeway.

I love the transmission swap, now I just have to get into rebuilding the old DX tranny with a kit and the VX final drive I bought an age ago so I can have a backup...

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.