View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenorm View Post
you wont be able to get less than atmospheric pressure in the intake unless you throttle it. a bleed valve or anything else wont work because there is no driving force to push the air out (no delta pressure). if you were turbo, the air would only bleed down to atmospheric.
I see what you're saying. I forgot to realize that at best, any bleed off will result in an equalization of pressures, i.e. atmospheric pressure, at best. No way to go lower than atm unless I somehow pulled the air out (assume a vacuum). It's basically like a balloon. It will expel air or helium out until the pressure of the inside and outside equalize. I imagine having a vacuum would be just as inefficient as a throttle (in the form of using electricity off the alternator or some device off of the drive belt, or something), so the improvement would be nullified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
I showed the formula to find the throttling power, it's never more than 5% of output power - maybe not really enough to get too worried about.
-mort
I think my response above applies to what you said. I tried to read your post, but will have to again after a good night's sleep. I would say that members here would gladly accept a 5% increase in power/efficiency. I know that's optimistic, but for my 30ish MPG car, that is 1.5MPG. I would take that!

--------------
So a bleed valve won't work, but what about a device like the transducer in the first post, which is designed to only put out the appropriate amount of air, no more and no less. If the engine requires less than atmospheric pressure, than the transducer will be able to supply it. If it needs more, than it will supply that instead. Looking at the zero-based range transducer, the supply pressure needs to be at least 5PSI more than output (I assume for losses). If a turbo supplied all the air above atmosphere, than this could be relatively efficient (it uses milli-Amps). Less than atmospheric pressure and it can use "regular" air or turbo compressed air if the turbo is spooling.

This is just an idea, keep shooting me down if I'm wrong or forgot an important piece! I'm a little slow sometimes!

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.