View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hi Darin,

I wonder if the regulation included FE numbers from the FuelEconomy.gov web site, which are actual, self-reported fuel use, that this would do several things: the car companies would get credit for what people were actually doing, and it would be a real world incentive for them to encourage people to actually get good mileage?

For example, my car is a 2005 Scion xA with manual 5-speed: the EPA (2007) ratings for this model are : 27/34/30. There are six people reporting an average of 36.4mpg -- this has to be considered a "combined" number, so Scion/Toyota would get credit for 36+ rather than 30mpg. (By the way, my lifetime average for 226 tankfuls is now above 40mpg!)

I don't know if that would really work out :/

Plus, the FE.gov calls BS on certain results. All of my tanks over ~37mpg come with a question mark and say it's too high of mpg- they calculate my LMPG as ~32 ish for public view, while the regular view for me (loaded with question marks lol) is >34.

And as much as you have great drivers, and some ecomodders, the amount of people who replaced their throttle with on/off switches will most definitely cancel it out, or at least bring it closer to the EPA.

And at the same time, the numbers are skewed. I find often when I talk about mods (explain why my car looks goofy, or am excited from a fill up), others don't even KNOW what their MPG is, they either have a guess, "it is usually like 30 bucks," or every so often they look at a standard issue gauge that has never been reset or checked. My point is, until our cars record out mileage and send it somewhere, real world results won't get it*. This point is also that the mileage that is reported isn't done by the majority or people who don't really care (60-90%?).

*As cool as it would be to show the government how great of drivers/modifiers we are, I would rather not pay more money for a tracking & reporting device in my car informing the manufacturer and government of everything I do.

****Beep beep beep beep beep!!!****
Grunt watching screen: Sir, the computer is showing this Mustang is driving in a 35, he is doing 41, and now he turned his engine off...and he is not slowing down!
Commander: Summon the authorities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
MetroMPG -

Hmmmmm, too bad. Why not offer this as an "eco-option" and charge more money for it like roflwaffle says? I am sure there is a small contingent of people that would pay for this. Try it for one year as an experiment, see what happens, and collect green(washing?) credits in the meantime.

When I think of Mazda, I don't associate them as much with good MPG. I associate them with their "zoom zoom" performance ads. Actually, whenever I have been looking at new cars, it's the EPA MPG ratings of the Mazdas that have crossed them off my list.

I definitely see the benefit of changing the EPA test to reward the start/stop tech. It's a no-brainer. If nothing else, the auto companies should create a very-close-to-EPA test of their own (like an ISO standard) that they can use in their ads. Call it City-SSTech MPG or what not. Build it into the sell.

CarloSW2
10 years ago I thought of them that way, but over the past few years, they have been up to some great stuff. I am totally infatuated with the CX-5, and I am very impressed with their other vehicles utilizing "Sky Active" technology. I am more so impressed with Subaru, but I don't scoff at Mazda, and they are moving up the rank of vehicles I suggest.

I don't get why there isn't an option from every manufacturer for this. I imagine the issue is getting it setup and working properly for every vehicle, I am not sure how difficult it is on an automatic.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (10-11-2013)