View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
What's an MP5? You mean the Mazda5 true-mini van? I like it, but it is small.

As someone who needs the seat to carry people, the Odyssey has way more space. If you use all the seats, there's next to no cargo space. (pic) Mazda's website won't even list it. It offers 45 cu ft with the 3rd row folded. The Odyssey offers 38 cu ft with all seats up, 93 behind row 2. My grandmother has one and I borrowed it for a couple days. It'd work well for my car and occasional family duty, but as a primary family car, no.

The basic Odyssey you can get for 28 is just a van. Besides the Mazda, it's the best "driver's car" van. I don't need most of the junk that bloats the price to $45,000. That's why I'm glad the economy options are now available on the base model. To my mind, paying that much for "features" is just stupid.

To sum up, for $8k more you get a lot more vehicle and equal mileage. If you don't need the size, the Mazda is a good choice. If you do, I'm glad the Ody is there.
MPV, MP5, now it's the Mazda 5. I firmly believe a standard can see highway MPG anytime it's driven, with the exception of NYC type driving of literally constant stop and go. I do see the reasoning behind it. Size wise, the Mazda doesn't compare- and the Odyssey definitely has some guts to it, ~245 hp, compared to the mid 100s of the Mazda.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.