View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
A few questions:

Just to clarify, is this the 1nz-fe or 1nz-fxe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr220v View Post
Well, it has an atkins cycle mode depending on what position the vvti cam is in. I currently have it set for on/off. This gives me two settings. 13:1 compression using the full 1.5L and 6:1 at 750cc's.

Toggling modes manually, I was able to get 37mpg where the various 4age's I've had would get 30, and the beams 3sge would get sub 30. This is running an echo ecu and no o2. Really a tune just good enough to run and drive.
So the vvt-i isn't automatic? On my Corolla, I don't do anything with it, it just does it's thing. Is this because your ECU doesn't have the software to control it?
What do you mean by full and half for the compression? Are you talking about half throttle? Also, why would the compression be half at 750CCs?
How do you get away with no O2 sensor, in terms of the engine running properly? I don't think I could do that here in CA, regardless.
Does this engine have belt driven accessories or electric? It looks like from your pic there are pulleys, but I just wanted to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr220v View Post
I'm currently tuning it with a microsquirt. Running it on the 1nzfe ecu, it was pretty clear that high setting wanted to be richer, and the low setting wanted to be leaner. A stock ecu to run this would be nice....but simply doesn't exist.

In addition to having fuel economy benefits, I'm looking at cheap performance ideas for this motor. Say something that would get it to 4age 20v levels. Basically finding uses for $200 Prius engines.
What was wrong with the rich and lean settings? Did FE decrease with the stock ECU?

Was the 1nz engine really only $200?!

Also, TURBO!!!!! Just kidding, but seriously if you want performance, then that would be an option.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.