View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #148 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
chrome-moly

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Glad you like it, can you find me a sponsor?

I thought about 1/2 a drop tank with a skirt, but it just wouldn't look as right, and with this the geodesic origins can be hidden behind WWI German aircraft hexagonal camo.

It would be a sandwich with top and bottom halves to the shell with a plate of 1/4"carbon fiber or 1" foamed aluminum with the chrome-moly roll cage and suspension pickup points on it sandwiched in between.

It was supposed to have a very efficient 36hp VW engine in front. The blunt nose would mean that the cylinders would be recessed into nostrils—a 10:1 blister inverted into the surface. But today I'm all excited about the Protean Direct Drive in-hub motors. Two of these in the tandem truck in back and you wouldn't need the front engine.

The people that know open wheels are the bicyclists. I believe the trick is flat carbon fiber spokes instead of round wires.

Oh, and I meant dry-sumped engine.
If you're going to race it they may want 1/8th-inch wall,mild steel tubing.Inch and a half or larger diameter.I think it's in the SCTA rulebook,but you'd want to check.