Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #141 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Daox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 10,838

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
90 day: 45.07 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,200
Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,394 Posts
Thanks to multiple requests, the aerodynamic streamlining template tool has been moved to Ecomodder's site. It is now accessible via the Tools page.

Thanks to all who have worked on this tool, its great!





Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tools.jpg
Views:	7498
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	13901  
__________________
Current project: Help me kill my alternator - it is stubborn and won't die
  Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-09-2013), Cd (10-09-2013), gone-ot (10-15-2013), jeff88 (10-09-2013), t vago (10-12-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #142 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 175
Thanks: 11
Thanked 70 Times in 45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
...
Where did those drawings come from?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #143 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 13,072
Thanks: 3,173
Thanked 4,312 Times in 3,429 Posts
Most recently Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com - freebeard's Album: aero technical but even though they aren't signed I suspect they're from aerohead's hand originally.

Did you notice they're inconsistent? The plan drawing has a flat tail and the section drawing shows a pointed tail. But it was shown for the underbody treatment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #144 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 9,982
Thanks: 14,969
Thanked 5,298 Times in 3,107 Posts
drawings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
Where did those drawings come from?
They're working drawings for a future post.
One of the members needed an idea about the plan taper so I went ahead and posted it.
I'm years behind on projects so there's no telling when I'll be able to clean those up.
Since typical production cars begin significant roof taper in advance of the body sides,the roof contour runs way from the plan taper.Which is okay,as the wide truncation leaves us room for plates and lights.
Also,the air along the sides of a car is slower and carries less kinetic energy so we shouldn't expect to support as aggressive a contour their as with the roof.
A 'pure' half-body would have identical top and side curvature,but it would be very wide.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #145 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 13,072
Thanks: 3,173
Thanked 4,312 Times in 3,429 Posts
I just posted this in the Base Drag thread, with more details; but since it's Template-y I thought I drop it here too.

It's a 4-wheel front-drive belly-tank racer, with an air-cooled wet-sumped engine with no internal radiator or cooling ducts.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #146 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 9,982
Thanks: 14,969
Thanked 5,298 Times in 3,107 Posts
'4' wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I just posted this in the Base Drag thread, with more details; but since it's Template-y I thought I drop it here too.

It's a 4-wheel front-drive belly-tank racer, with an air-cooled wet-sumped engine with no internal radiator or cooling ducts.
Very clever! I wish we had more data on exposed wheels.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #147 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 13,072
Thanks: 3,173
Thanked 4,312 Times in 3,429 Posts
Glad you like it, can you find me a sponsor?

I thought about 1/2 a drop tank with a skirt, but it just wouldn't look as right, and with this the geodesic origins can be hidden behind WWI German aircraft hexagonal camo.

It would be a sandwich with top and bottom halves to the shell with a plate of 1/4"carbon fiber or 1" foamed aluminum with the chrome-moly roll cage and suspension pickup points on it sandwiched in between.

It was supposed to have a very efficient 36hp VW engine in front. The blunt nose would mean that the cylinders would be recessed into nostrils—a 10:1 blister inverted into the surface. But today I'm all excited about the Protean Direct Drive in-hub motors. Two of these in the tandem truck in back and you wouldn't need the front engine.

The people that know open wheels are the bicyclists. I believe the trick is flat carbon fiber spokes instead of round wires.

Oh, and I meant dry-sumped engine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #148 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 9,982
Thanks: 14,969
Thanked 5,298 Times in 3,107 Posts
chrome-moly

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Glad you like it, can you find me a sponsor?

I thought about 1/2 a drop tank with a skirt, but it just wouldn't look as right, and with this the geodesic origins can be hidden behind WWI German aircraft hexagonal camo.

It would be a sandwich with top and bottom halves to the shell with a plate of 1/4"carbon fiber or 1" foamed aluminum with the chrome-moly roll cage and suspension pickup points on it sandwiched in between.

It was supposed to have a very efficient 36hp VW engine in front. The blunt nose would mean that the cylinders would be recessed into nostrils—a 10:1 blister inverted into the surface. But today I'm all excited about the Protean Direct Drive in-hub motors. Two of these in the tandem truck in back and you wouldn't need the front engine.

The people that know open wheels are the bicyclists. I believe the trick is flat carbon fiber spokes instead of round wires.

Oh, and I meant dry-sumped engine.
If you're going to race it they may want 1/8th-inch wall,mild steel tubing.Inch and a half or larger diameter.I think it's in the SCTA rulebook,but you'd want to check.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #149 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 13,072
Thanks: 3,173
Thanked 4,312 Times in 3,429 Posts
Quote:
If you're going to race it they may want 1/8th-inch wall,mild steel tubing.Inch and a half or larger diameter.
Maybe I should take the idea more seriously. Compared to running a full-bodied car, it has to be [a little] less expensive. Those exotic, expensive materials should be mild steel 1/4" plate as well. Built with the rule book in one hand and a stick welder in the other. The roll cage and drive train is a cost not dependent on the vehicle. So, some laser cut steel and mandrel-bent tubing, 120sq ft of Polymetal, steering wheel, seat, boots... I've got a Type I 5-speed.

If/when I have a model with the big wheels in back for electric motors, little hub-less wheels in front and a windscreen in the nose like the motorhome I did, I'll start a new thread.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-17-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #150 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 175
Thanks: 0
Thanked 63 Times in 41 Posts
68 Mustang Fast Back

Hmmmm...Much worse than I expected! The second image was just for checking the angle which is dead on, but that does not matter much once there is separation.



  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com