View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
AndrewJ
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
It just a standard 18 speed road bike made by Iron Horse.
Ok, thats at least a good starting point, I was sure it had to be a road bike by the 17mph average speed, but hey, who knows, you could have been Lance Armstrong on a DH bike or something.

Anyway, if you're trying to get faster, keep in mind that the aerodynamics of bikes is a bit different than cars. Namely, the "tipping point" where aerodynamics become an important factor is around 20mph (or so I have heard from multiple sources)
It seems that once you pass 20mph on a bike, over 50% of your energy is going to combat aerodynamic drag, and it just goes up from there. I think the source for that tidbit is the League of American Bicyclists' "Road I" course, but I could be wrong.

So, the key to making a battery last longer might be aeromodding your bike. Look into time trial stuff for your bike. Most of it is expensive, and somewhat heavy, but an aerobar wouldn't cost much, and getting into a more aerodynamic tuck would be hugely helpful.