View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #54 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
I can't disagree with him enough. I do believe a middle-class 20 something should be able to afford a new car. But what he said conflicts heavily. Self driving cars aren't going to be cheaper.

On the otherhand, I believe automakers should stop trying to get into the mobile electronics business and provide better platforms for customizing vehicles with personal tablets and smart phones. I can buy a bigger and better tablet that does far more than the clunky onboard navigation systems for less money. But car dashes are so busy that they have to be heavily modified to safely mount a tablet for navigation.

If anything they need to stop trying to make money only from selling overpriced, lower quality options and try to profit from actually building and selling cars.
Actually electronics use should be banned while driving, the tech to disable cells and the like in a car costs under $3 and would go much further to him not colliding into people than adding more electronic garbage to distract him with.

if you are going to drive, god damn it drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Except that I've never run into an EFI system that needed repair, whereas carbs needed repair all the time. And if you honestly think carbs were simple to repair, you have my unreserved admiration.
Buy a 93 suburban and you can run into that problem all you want.

Carbs were cheap to adjust and repair to good enough, but difficult to get perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
I see lots of younger people starting apprenticeships in the shop I work [and do much of the training] at, which is a commercial truck stealership. It is amazing to see the lack of knack for fixing things in these kids. The common belief of management is that anyone can fix/diagnose anything with the correct training. What they do not realize is your knack for mechanics will largely determine how successful you become, regardless of training.

There are plenty of untrained mechanics who are very very good.
There are plenty of trained mechanics who are horrible.
This is because of people not actually doing anything, i mean literally, if we could start getting more young people back to being farmers like they should be you would see peoples knack come back slowly.

Last edited by rmay635703; 10-22-2013 at 08:19 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
chumly (10-30-2013), Frank Lee (10-22-2013)