View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #44 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Well, I'm still on the hunt for a donor but I'm going to look at a '99 Passat on the weekend. I know they don't have the best reputation for reliability, but this one sounds interesting and it's not 100 miles away. It's a standard with a blown motor and the engine and trans have already been removed. It comes with a 2001 parts car that has a good engine and auto. It's all been sitting for a while so we'll see if it's as good as he says, but it's cheap enough that I think I should be able to sell the good eng. and tranny and get what I want for free. The Passat is a very aerodynamic car and, with lithium, shouldn't weigh much more than it was stock. I won't need much range and it meets most everything on my need list. So, what do you think, does it seem like it could be a good choice?
I stripped the forklift I bought an while back. It's mostly gone now and I'm up about $900 with a free motor. I was able to put together a package with my spare parts for another aspiring EV builder wanting to 48v Metro conversion like the "big three" here ( you know who I mean I think) an I got an email from him the other day that he's got a good start on it. I'm really happy about that. It was a win, win for us both and I made a new friend.
I also, was given an older Schwinn ebike a while back with bad batteries. I already have a battery pack for it, so I guess I may have an EV for next summer after all, even if I don't have a car
I was able to pick up another freebie forklift this week too. Haven't decided what to do with it yet, it will really depend on what all is wrong with it, but I couldn't pass up free. Might end up being a boat anchor though. It has 2 of the motors that mechman originally used in the Booger. I know it didn't work that well for that, but what about in a smaller, lighter car or a motorcycle? Who knows, If it can be fixed for cheap, I may do that and sell it to fund my car project.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km