Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
+1 on that one. Mazda 3 is at the top of my list for my next "real" EV - the one I drop the bomb on and spend lots of money. They are very fun cars and have a knack for barfing rod bearings, making gliders fairly easy to come by.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
That could be what happened, don't know. Actually, I have been watching for a Mazda 3 for a while and this is only the third one I seen with a blown motor around here in the last year. I suppose there may have been more, but for more than I wanted to spend. I hope to be able to build this fairly cheap, except for the battery pack. that won't be cheap, but I don't need a lot of range, so we'll see. I'm getting ahead of myself, but this one sounds really promising.
Hey, the "ebooger" is a real EV, just not a really fancy one. glad to hear your new motor is working better. Thanks for the support guys.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX

Team Toyota
Looked at the Mazda tonight and came home a little disappointed. It Could still be a possibility I guess, but it was in much worse shape than he told me on the phone. I'm guessing an additional $1000- 1500 in extra repairs before I even start the conversion. Patience is a virtue so I may have to practice being virtuous a little longer.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX

Team Toyota
Well, I'm still on the hunt for a donor but I'm going to look at a '99 Passat on the weekend. I know they don't have the best reputation for reliability, but this one sounds interesting and it's not 100 miles away. It's a standard with a blown motor and the engine and trans have already been removed. It comes with a 2001 parts car that has a good engine and auto. It's all been sitting for a while so we'll see if it's as good as he says, but it's cheap enough that I think I should be able to sell the good eng. and tranny and get what I want for free. The Passat is a very aerodynamic car and, with lithium, shouldn't weigh much more than it was stock. I won't need much range and it meets most everything on my need list. So, what do you think, does it seem like it could be a good choice?
I stripped the forklift I bought an while back. It's mostly gone now and I'm up about $900 with a free motor. I was able to put together a package with my spare parts for another aspiring EV builder wanting to 48v Metro conversion like the "big three" here ( you know who I mean I think) an I got an email from him the other day that he's got a good start on it. I'm really happy about that. It was a win, win for us both and I made a new friend.
I also, was given an older Schwinn ebike a while back with bad batteries. I already have a battery pack for it, so I guess I may have an EV for next summer after all, even if I don't have a car
I was able to pick up another freebie forklift this week too. Haven't decided what to do with it yet, it will really depend on what all is wrong with it, but I couldn't pass up free. Might end up being a boat anchor though. It has 2 of the motors that mechman originally used in the Booger. I know it didn't work that well for that, but what about in a smaller, lighter car or a motorcycle? Who knows, If it can be fixed for cheap, I may do that and sell it to fund my car project.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
It has 2 of the motors that mechman originally used in the Booger. I know it didn't work that well for that, but what about in a smaller, lighter car or a motorcycle?
I am wondering the same thing. I have been thinking that it would be interesting to try a two controller setup on my sepex motor in a motorcycle but with two twist grip pots - one for the left hand and one for the right, one controlling the field current and the other the armature current. Totally weird idea, but I wonder if you could learn to ride it. With independent controller control you could make a sepex motor have a super wide RPM range. Maybe.

Unfortunately that motor is a bit heavy. Like 60 lbs or so and a pancake PM motor weights about 20 lbs.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #46 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Do some research on the older Passats. I recall there were horribly expensive (and not long-lasting) front suspension components that cost more to replace than the car is worth.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #47 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Gah, a Passat?? Just back away slowly...

Last edited by War_Wagon; 10-24-2013 at 01:52 PM..
Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX

Team Toyota
Thanks guys, I agree suspension and steering is a big concern and I will be examining them carefully before I make an offer, if I do. I'm hoping there will be enough good spare parts on the parts car that I can rob off what I need to keep it going for a while, but time will tell. No one seems to think they are okay cars when I read reviews. People either absolutely love them or they hate them with a passion. That tells me quality control is a big issue and not knowing the history makes it a big gamble. Problem still remains that most of the cars that fit my needs for my family and my motor fall in the same category. Decisions, decisions.
Mechman, with a proper sepex controller and lighter vehicle, that motor should have a wider rpm range than you would have seen in your car, I would think.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Mechman, with a proper sepex controller and lighter vehicle, that motor should have a wider rpm range than you would have seen in your car, I would think.
I'm not spending money on a proper controller. That's why I swapped it out for a series wound motor in the first place.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX

Team Toyota
I was thinking in generalities more than you specifically since I now have access to two of those motors. But, If you were to use yours for another project, wouldn't you need another controller anyway? I thought you were still using your Altrax in your car.

Reply  Post New Thread