View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
jeff88
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
What's the Best Combination of Gears?

I've read snippets of info about taller gears, closely spaced, various features for a transmission, but I have yet to find a thread (or outside article) that concretely states what the best combination would be (at least economically speaking). So I'm starting this thread to hopefully try to hash out the best option.

Here's my best preliminary guess:
1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are all short and closely spaced. (This allows for quick acceleration, allowing the driver to get to speed as quickly as possible.)
4th and 5th gears begin to get taller and are spaced out more to allow efficient operation while at the lower end of the top speed (say, between 40MPH and 60MPH).
6th gear is extremely tall and will allow for most efficiency possible at a higher speed (say, 65 or 70+).

This of course assumes a 6 speed, but maybe there is a better amount? More gears? Less gears? Also, is there a reason why a manual and auto would require something different to maximize efficiency?

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.