View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
My hunch is that the roof is producing counter-rotating vortices at each side.
The mixing and shear of the highly energetic vortices is enough to evaporate the dew where they contact the body and backlight.
If your hunch is correct, then images 1 and 2 in the album I linked reveal that the passenger side--where the mirror delete is--has notably less turbulance or vortices. The driver side shows the drying pattern over the driver's window and back along the rear quarter-panel and further across the rear window and trunk lid toward the middle. Didn't you say once that very precise max speed testing on your fourth gen Civic showed no change in top speed between mirrors and no mirrors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Zoom in on these images below to get an idea where you can delay the vortex forming and the associated drag which comes with them.
My car is clearly closest to "G" in that image you shared.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.