View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
The Pilot's a nice enough vehicle, especially if you're at all outdoorsy or go in for adventure sports. But aerodynamically, you have already determined it's a dog's breakfast.

Your wheels don't permit much in the way of smoothie discs. I wonder if you could add bulgy skirts on the rear to close up some of those big buckets they're riding in?

You have way more confidence in electrical tape than I. But if it works, hey. Go with what works.

+1 on closing up the edges of your belly pan.

Side skirts.

Warm air intake on your car. Some guys do better with it, some without. Testing req'd, usually a nearly no-cost mod and easily reversible so you aren't committed.

Not much else to do regarding weight reduction. You could take out carpet and stuff, but it's already a big boomy box - do you want echoes too? I don't think you have enough gains left to merit making it a noisier ride.

I've read more than one project where the owner was able to install a clutch lockup switch that forced lockup at any speed. Usually they're able to do it without throwing a check engine light, which is key. You could do as well and come close to eliminating your torque converter losses; generally the TC is crucial only at stops and during initial acceleration, the tranny can shift without unlocking the TC, though in some instances the shift feels a bit harsher. Again, more research and testing required. Also reversible, especially if you install the switch in an existing knockout.

You have a tough row to hoe. Taking a 17mpg combined EPA ride to 27mpg in the real world is really, really good. Getting another 10% to hit 30mpg...well, I'm glad it isn't me that's trying to do it. I'm rooting for you, but I'm glad it isn't me.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.