View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
New Hub caps!

Nope, not fancy full-moons or anything.

When I fixed the ball joint and un-lowered the truck, I also put the snow tires on the rear (partly to free up a tire to replace the damaged front-left tire!)

The only thing is that the rims that the snow tires are on are UGLY! I just bought some plain steel rims for the wife's Prius so we can leave snow tires permanently mounted up, and I just had that done at the tire shop this morning.

On my way back home, I stopped at the auto parts store to see what they had for some affordable hub caps for the Prius. The summer alloy wheels look very nice, but the new black steel rims are bare and ugly. Thought it would be nice to cover them up.

I also realized that both the S10 and the Prius have 15" rims. Different bolt spacing and everything else, but at least hub caps should be interchangeable.

At the auto parts store, there was a set of hubcaps in gun-metal gray metallic, or a chrome finish. I liked the gun-metal, but didn't know if the wife would. Oh well. Figured I'd buy them and if she didn't like them, I could put them on the truck.

Once home, I started assembling them and test-fit one to the truck. It looked good, so I ended up mounting them all.

The truck isn't looking bad, although at some point, I'd still like to play around with some nice full-moon caps.

Here's what one of the snow tire rims looks like.

And here's what one looks like with the hub cap.

I showed the wife what the truck looked like and she liked that color rims. The Prius has dark tinted windows, so I think it will look nice with the darker rims as well. Now I'll have to stop back at the store and see if I can get another set!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos