View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
I recently purchased a 50cc scooter and while I can attest the mpg is great (still on my first tank but projected at about 80-90mpg) there is almost zero room to cargo 70 stops worth of newspapers and the added weight would drastically reduce speed.

And, if you're going with a 50cc scooter and driving mostly 45-55 mph roads it will take much longer to make that route on a scooter that is 35mph tops with average weight rider. (I've gotten it up to 45mph on downhill but because of the low horsepower coasting great distances is virtually impossible). Not to mention, 50cc scooters cannot be legally driven on state rated highways.

However, if you do have parts of the route that can be driven in the range of 35mph and are are generally flat I would recommend doing those on the scooter (maybe 1/3 to half of your newspaper weight) and doing the rest of the route with the car.

Note: The cost of a scooter starts around $1000 so it would take some time to see the savings on gas when you are starting $1000 in the hole.