Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promising_Confinement View Post
And in response to IndyIan, basically hit the gas a little harder than what I've been doing then throw it in neutral until I get to my stop? (That's how I interpret it)
Yep, that's what I do with my Neon. I normally accelerate faster than most traffic just to get up to speed quicker and coasting sooner. I should try accelerating slower for a tank sometime but from what I've read here, car engines are most efficient at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle at 2000rpm. It also makes up for the lower coasting speeds in my mind. I also pulse fairly hard, 1/2 throttle, but not enough to force a downshift.
I think I am doing pretty well with this methodology but I'm sure it could be improved upon.
Ian

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GMC Sonoma - '94 GMC Sonoma
90 day: 36.97 mpg (US)
Pumping your tires up to 40 psi is a cost free way to get significantly better mileage. This is assuming you now run them at 35 psi or less.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregte View Post
Pumping your tires up to 40 psi is a cost free way to get significantly better mileage. This is assuming you now run them at 35 psi or less.
Yes and since it is all stop and go paper delivery, youre not going to generate the heat of long distance highway driving so youll be probably safer when pumping them up higher.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
Just drive like a grandma, cost to stops when ever possable. I assume your hauling around lots of papers too adding more weight.. bad for Fuel efficiency great for carrying momentum... so coast as much as you can in neutral

look into a little 50cc or so sized scooter.. or a bike motor for a bicycle.. better than 125+ MPG they will do 30mph.. If i was doing a job like that that would be the way id do it except in the winter.. as I'm in Minnesota.. that would suck.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

RSX - '02 Acura RSX base
90 day: 37.87 mpg (US)
What about trying a combination of bike and car. Get a bike rack, park your car when you get to a cluster of houses and ride you bike around then put it up and drive to the next neighborhood. Also I dont know if anyone answered you yet about the scangauge. I know of two sites you can get one scangaugeII.com and 3in1computer.com
Old 07-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
I recently purchased a 50cc scooter and while I can attest the mpg is great (still on my first tank but projected at about 80-90mpg) there is almost zero room to cargo 70 stops worth of newspapers and the added weight would drastically reduce speed.

And, if you're going with a 50cc scooter and driving mostly 45-55 mph roads it will take much longer to make that route on a scooter that is 35mph tops with average weight rider. (I've gotten it up to 45mph on downhill but because of the low horsepower coasting great distances is virtually impossible). Not to mention, 50cc scooters cannot be legally driven on state rated highways.

However, if you do have parts of the route that can be driven in the range of 35mph and are are generally flat I would recommend doing those on the scooter (maybe 1/3 to half of your newspaper weight) and doing the rest of the route with the car.

Note: The cost of a scooter starts around $1000 so it would take some time to see the savings on gas when you are starting $1000 in the hole.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Certified Freak

Greenblazer's Taco - '07 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab SR5 V6 4.0Liter
90 day: 24.54 mpg (US)
I think the right scooter and a small custom made trailer might be your best bet. It might cost more in the short term, but in the long run it would be way better. 50CC is too small for normal speeds, but when I was a kid I had a three route paper route that I did with a 50cc Puch moped. Too many years ago to remember the number of papers, but it seems to me that it was not far from the number you have. The Puch moped had a step through frame and I stacked the papers in between my legs on the stepthrough part of the bike. On my Sunday route I had to make 2 trips, but I didn't have a trailer. People in 3rd world countries put crazy huge loads on mopeds, scooters and motorcycles. I have seen pics of whole familys of five or six on very small motorcycles and scooters. A 150cc or 250cc scooter could haul you and the papers most likely. Sunday might be a problem, but building a small trailer would probably solve that problem. A bigger scooter might hold the whole load of papers better than you think, but they would need to be flat and stacked. If you deliver folded papers it would be more dificult, but if you built your own trailer or modified a bicycle trailer you could probably haul all your papers even if they were folded. Another idea would be to make large saddle bags to carry the papers. Here is a link to an older style Honda that would probably do the trick. It's a 250 cc has a large trunk, a back seat, goes about 75MPH and gets about 75 MPG. If I was doing a route like yours it is the bike I would want to do it with. 2005 HONDA Helix (CN250) for sale in Avon, OH: SCOOTER - CycleTrader.com

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

Later,

Allan Greenblazer
Old 07-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Honda Civic LX - '97 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 32.61 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Promising_Confinement Send a message via Yahoo to Promising_Confinement
I typically have ..... probably a little 150 papers, and almost half that gets dumped within the first 20 minutes. I average a speed of about 23 to 25mph, and there are some areas that have a speed limit of 55, but I usually go down these roads at 4 or 5 in the morning, so there's hardly any cars. Hell, I just (well, according to the GPS thing that I'm going to assume is a little inaccurate. Garmin 360) go about 40 to 45mph all the way down that road.

I've been looking around for a scooter that wouldn't break the friggin bank, but I think I'm gonna have to actually break down and save about a grand or two beforehand.

I've been trying to drive my automatic as close to a manual as I can though, and that seems to help a little bit. Pretty much whenever my foot isn't on the gas I move up to Neutral .... staying in neutral on some roads until I get to about 15 to 20mph before I give it a little more gas to keep going until I either get to my turn or stop.

Since my speedo/odo/cruise doesn't work, I can only go by how much gas I use, and I've cut it down from a little over a full quarter of a tank to a little less than a quarter of a tank. heh

I'm thinking of trying some of these aerodynamic things on the site (covering up the back wheels like on an older Prius or Insight or whatever). Maybe paint some plexiglass maroon and somehow seal it to the car without anything 100% permanent.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Honda Civic LX - '97 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 32.61 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Promising_Confinement Send a message via Yahoo to Promising_Confinement
Oh, and thankfully I don't do weekends. That's something that I flat out refused when it was offered to me.

Flat out told the guy I'd be too drunk to deliver a paper on the weekend. :P
Old 07-04-2008, 03:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Certified Freak

Greenblazer's Taco - '07 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab SR5 V6 4.0Liter
90 day: 24.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promising_Confinement View Post
Oh, and thankfully I don't do weekends. That's something that I flat out refused when it was offered to me.

Flat out told the guy I'd be too drunk to deliver a paper on the weekend. :P
That's funny. If you got one with a big enough floor you can stack papers on the floor all the way up to or maybe above the seat, and use the passenger pegs instead of the floor for your feet.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer