Thread: diesel swaps
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
diesel swaps

Can this subforum offer me advice? Every once in a while i wonder about whether i can find a diesel engine that would swap into my Civic when, one day, the current gasser engine dies. I have lots of willingness to learn what's needed toperform a reasonable swap. I'd like to make and run biodiesel one day, in my Civic. Any engine must be newer than my civic (1998) and meet the other CA emissions standards I have to satisfy in this daily driver. I know there is a Euro diesel Civic, but CA won't let me run that engine. What relatively recent engines available in the USA would you suspect or know would swap into my car, with or without some custom mounts?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.