View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I wouldn't go assuming old gas is good. Drain the tank and retain the fuel you remove; when you get The Beast running again you'll add a gallon or so of the old stuff to a full tank of good gas and use it up that way. This is how I get rid of old chainsaw gas at the end of the season, run it through the truck. A little two stroke oil? No problem.

I dunno about replacing the coolant. Open the drain petcock at the bottom of the radiator and take a sample from the bottom of the system. If the juice coming out looks okay, run it. A properly filled coolant system has no air and the antifreeze in 1993 and even 1983 was loaded with anticorrosion additives, it might be good to go.

Same goes with PS fluid and tranny fluid. If levels are good and the sample doesn't come out green and furry, run it.

Brake fluid I would flush. Before you flush, give the pedal a few good hard pushes, and then check for leaks at the calipers and line connections. Dry rot's a terrible thing, sliding butt-first over the horizon because of it is worse.

If you can, chuck some kind of driver into a drill and spin up the oil filter for a couple of minutes before you start it for the first time. Everything's gotta be bone-dry in there.

Start a log for The Beast. If you're gonna drive it, squeeze it.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.