View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
It's a shame we never got a chance to meet, especially since I live barely more than 2.5 hours away in Williamsburg Va. We pursued different pathways to the same goal. The difference is mine was focused on powertrains, based on the documents produced by the DOE, Ford and the University of Michigan as well as Eaton Corp. They predicted using a hydraulic hybrid configuration, you could realize an 80% increase in mileage without any modifications to the vehicle architecture other than a smaller diesel engine. They produced a 3800 pound prototype that got 80 MPG on the EPA test cycle, with no aero improvements whatsoever.

Any further improvements in powerplant or aerodynamics would be enhanced by a proper HH powertrain and the system could be easily and cost effectively incorporated into existing vehicle architecture which is the pathway the major mahufcturers will take, since their priorities are profits and survival.

They will wait for your innovation to age until they have to pay nothing for your designs. Then they will incorporate those designs into their vehicles over decades when they are convinced there are minimal liability concerns. They smash up more money than we will ever see just to pass crash testing standards.

My patent will expire in 14 years, but there will be a chain of patented improvements of the original design as well as operational software for integration into abs and traction control systems. As small developers who have not concentrated our innovations we will be rendered insignificant by the giant car manufacturers since they think long term over decades.

Nobody wants to even think about challenging the auto giants directly, but I think that attitude is short sighted since there are new arrivals to the manufacturing community who will be more interested in real design improvements. In the meantime I will build my own operational vehicle. I wish you luck in the future.

regards
Mech