View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
If it has any decent photos of the FourSight "4 seater insight" I would like to get the book since that has always been something I have wanted to create.
It doesn't. I've looked for it, and i've never seen a picture of it anywhere. Your best bet is to try to contact the people who (attempted?) to build it.

The book only has about 8 or so pictures which is unfortunate. How all those cars looked is as much a part of the story as anything. I would have like to have seen visual profile of all the teams.

In a way like others have said, the book really isn't about the Xprize at all. The Xprize is really just the context behind it.

I've had some thoughts that 'extreme' efficiency in itself isn't that important. But with electric cars, any aerodynamic efficiency means more range at less battery cost. The mainstream class required 100mpge with 200+ miles of range if i'm correct, which is why you had so many two seater electric vehicles make it to the end of the "side by side" class where they only had to do 100 miles or so. Batteries are really heavy for 200+ mile of range.

If you think electric cars are inevitable, the mainstream class was kind of like the diagram for the perfect electric car. People want 300 miles of range, 4 seats, at a low price. Thats the tipping point for average Joe to buy electric vs gas. For electric cars to become 'mainstream.'

Well batteries will get lighter while prices will lower and gas prices rise. But aerodynamic efficiency is a 2-3X factor of improvement than can be achieved NOW without waiting for batteries to mature.