View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
In 2003 I went to look at the then newer version of the Prius. I went to the parts department and asked then how much did the battery cost and how much was the electric motor.

$6k for the battery and $8k for the motor. Liked the car but a little short on front seat legroom for me. I bought a Scion XB for 10k less and averaged 36 MPG (auto).

I have heard about the new triple range cheap "miracle battery" for more than that decade ago investigation of the real hybrid that took them mainstream. The predictions, if you believed tham were that by this last year we would already have seen 500 miles range pure electric vehicles.

So progress in the field has stagnated while everyone waits for the "breakthrough" battery innovation. You would think that Nissan would be doing just about everything they could to incorporate any battery improvement into the Leaf, since they made a huge financial commitment to a BEV, but their range has not changed now in 3 years?

It's sad to see other areas of innovation put on hold while waiting for the great battery breakthrough and when (if) it comes in a few decades then the cost, reliability, and safety issues will drag it out for a few more decades.

Half of my 63 years, we've been waiting, while predicting it would be here decades ago.

Baloney.

regards
Mech