View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
I'm seeing this a ton in my area with fuel now at only $2.88 a gallon and dropping.

People are buying full size trucks and selling their fuel sipping commuter's.
There are some great deals on all the economy boxes in my area!!!
I never could understand how people can possibly lack any type of short term memory, gas was $4 a gallon not long ago, went down; and price came back up and went down, therefor, THIS TIME its going to just keep going down?

This is why there needs "unfortunately" to be some sort of government motivation and some willpower by the people who should know better to do backhanded things to make economical vehicles have an edge.

I see the tax break, why not relaxed emissions if you meet a very high mpg standard (within reason) eliminate costly portions of the crash test that have nothing to do with the crash test (try to reduce/eliminate the cost to crash test low volume cars, eliminate the different transmission is a different car crap, etc) Eliminate certain gray market laws on cars that meet special criteria (wink wink) Eliminate the "origin" or "makeup" of parts laws on vehicles that meet certain criteria. In other words gut the million hoops written by lobbiests to isolate our auto market but only on cars that would move our energy use in a positive light (opposite of the Bush deregulation of large trucks)

Sadly the car companies basically dictate future legislation that affect them so I know this is moot but if an external interest were to bother the government enough we might see some of the crap relaxed or removed to make it easier to get revolutionary cars to market.

I know these types of changes would get backlash, we would get the car doesn't meet X standard arm flailing or someone thinking a few thousand economy cars will ruin the environment and the whole mantra of BS, the

canned answer would have to be,

you are allowed to drive a motorcycle but because only 2 cars were crash tested and passed the enclosed small car is obviously less safe than a motorcycle.

Shut up and don't buy it if you don't like it, says the guy with a Yugo, a comutacar and a Subaru 360

Cheers

Last edited by rmay635703; 12-04-2013 at 07:47 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (12-04-2013), pgfpro (12-05-2013)