View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I'll post more details when I have time, but the revised Seven is even more efficient: 129Wh/mile at ~60MPH and it has been driven 220 miles at close to 70MPH - and finished with ~10% charge left. The pack is ~33kWh.

Their drivetrain is about 92%+ plug to wheel if I recall correctly, and this is key; followed by having a Cd <0.23. That was the result of the full EPA test done by Chrysler on the earlier (silver) version of Seven.

Here's their specs page: Seven | Illuminati Motor Works

It is incredibly solidly built, though they full admit to water leaks (they're working on them) and they plan on rubber mounting the motor etc. to lower the noise on the inside.

The 914 is the current project of the MIT Electric Vehicle Team. And I got a pretty good look at the rear suspension, which I'm considering for CarBEN EV5; and I have the email of their parts guy.

The first half was officially for students only, but several of us "adults" showed up and they were happy to have us. There were about 15 or 18 people at the N51 garage and about 30-35 at the book signing / supper in the Coffeehouse lounge.

Oh, about the doors - Kevin Smith pulled it far enough past the 914 to open the doors. I was worried that they would hit it.

Edit: Kevin explained in detail about balancing the pack at the bottom, by fully discharging them. They have now removed the BMS and actually get a bit more range than before, and none of the cells swell or get hot.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
XprizeRoadTrip (12-11-2013)