View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan01xl View Post
I have a set of studs that I will begrudgingly be installing on my truck. They are a smaller diameter than my current tires and i really dont want to lose the highway mpgs from running them. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to run studs just on the front end, as my truck is RWD. My logic is that i would have increased steering and braking performance, though my acceleration and rear grip would remain the same. I have not been in a situation where i couldnt get somewhere due to rear grip, and dont anticipate having that issue.

Just wondering if anyone had some expertise on the subject...
Having a significant difference in grip front to rear can lead to some handling problems that could get you in a an accident. Good studded, winter tires up front and standard tires (all-seasons or summer tires) in the rear tend to cause the rear to slide while braking or turning. A decent demonstration of that is seen here:

You'll have similar behavior in the RWD truck, but I didn't easily find any video of that. The RWD videos I found all put the winter tires in the rear, but still had problems (greatly reduced braking and severe understeer in corners).

All four is the way to go.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods