View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

I've thought some more about this and pure electric with a detachable genset seems the way to go. For one this saves weight and complexity. My previous hybrid idea is just too prone to mechanical failure. Pure electric is simpler and more reliable. More aerodynamic too as i don't need to cool the engine. Since it will be full faired to a pure teardrop shape, i'll be using so little power, that the genset would be 4.5hp or less to sustain battery charge at freeway speeds, or 2hp to very nearly double the range. This would be in the range of the smallest genset you can get.

It would go without the genset 99% of the time with an electric range that exceeds most electric cars. It's sole purpose would be to extend range between charges on cross country trips. So i could cover the same distance in the same amount of time as a typical gasoline car driver.

My original purpose of making a hybrid motorcycle was to increase the charge to drive time ratio, and to increase the range between charging stations. But the infrastructure of level 2 charging has improved so much so that a range extender isn't necessary. And the rate of level2 charging a small 5kwh battery would be 20 minutes at 15kw? I was previously discouraged by reports from last year of 3.3kw and 6.6kw on board car chargers. Electric vehicles, especially electric motorcycles have come a long way in a short time.

The goal of the Moonshot motorcycle:
The most cost effective, fully enclosed streamliner possible.
Get the most range from a cheaper smaller battery,
with a faster highway cruising speed using a cheaper less powerful motor.
Driver + Dog, 1,000mpge.