View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #36 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
My Dad's advice to me when I was getting my Drivers License at age 16: "Son, drive as if everybody on the road is an idiot and trying to kill you...because they are."

...and 50+ years later, his advise is STILL true.
Precisely the way I was taught and still practice. Pop told me I was the only driver he ever rode with that he could fall asleep in the car.

I would buy insurance regardless of whether it was required or not, and I pay for uninsured motorists because I KNOW that protects ME from someone who has nothing to loose, even though driving without insurance in Va will get you a $500 fine or you spend some time in the county cage.

As I posted earlier I bought a truck from a kid who had driven 11 years without a license or insurance. What I have seen driven into my shop, as far as cars that are rolling disaster waiting to happen, provides me with plenty of reasons to protect myself.

We carry $1000 deductible insurance on our home, which is paid for and worth over $300K even in the current market. It represents 16 months of my sweat equitly and if a tree totals the house I am covered. Same company for 40 years.

Xist nailed it, blame yourself for allowing lawyers to run the show. Of the attorneys, by the attorneys, and for the attorneys. Jefferson understood the dangers of giving lawyers that kind of power and tried to limit them to a per capita 1 in 1600 citizens.

Insurance protects me form the stupidity of irresponsible people and acts of nature as well as accidents. For me that is cheap considering that we could loose our lifes work due to one irresposible idiot.

I was thinking about how long it has been since I had to actually skid my tires in a panic stop. I wrote about it here on my bike when the car infront of me slammed into the car in front of it at about 35-40 MPH. That's the only time in years I have even come close. I know some states have "no fault" insurance, where you insure yourself and those who drive without it risk their assets and arses.

regards
Mech