Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
States mandate insurance.

Insurance companies make MONEY.

Money feeds the political "machine" producing people who work for the State.

...detect a 'circular loop' here, yet?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I dont know about yall, but in my area it seems if you want to drive you must go no slower than 80 mph, launch your car 0-60 in 5 seconds at stop signs and green lights in all lanes.

In a sense if you are on your toes you can almost avoid any accident rather its your fault or not under the law.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Dad's advice to me when I was getting my Drivers License at age 16: "Son, drive as if everybody on the road is an idiot and trying to kill you...because they are."

...and 50+ years later, his advise is STILL true.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
States mandate insurance.

Insurance companies make MONEY.

Money feeds the political "machine" producing people who work for the State.

...detect a 'circular loop' here, yet?
You forgot to mention lawyers. Guess who writes the laws? Guess who enforces and prosecutes the laws? Guess who defends us from the effects of these same laws? How many politicians can you name that do not have law degrees?

It's quite an industry. It's the legal protection racket. How did we ever live in society without legislation and enforcement becoming so large and intrusive in our lives?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #35 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I dont know about yall, but in my area it seems if you want to drive you must go no slower than 80 mph, launch your car 0-60 in 5 seconds at stop signs and green lights in all lanes.

In a sense if you are on your toes you can almost avoid any accident rather its your fault or not under the law.
I was once rear-ended for coming to complete stop at a stop sign. He took off and the police said that I had the plate number wrong.

I only paid about $3,000 for each of my first three cars and I did not go for full insurance until my dad sold me the first Focus and required it, while I made payments.

I paid $2,700 for Chorizo and have full coverage, but it took me months to find my HX. How many did I post during my search?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
My Dad's advice to me when I was getting my Drivers License at age 16: "Son, drive as if everybody on the road is an idiot and trying to kill you...because they are."

...and 50+ years later, his advise is STILL true.
Precisely the way I was taught and still practice. Pop told me I was the only driver he ever rode with that he could fall asleep in the car.

I would buy insurance regardless of whether it was required or not, and I pay for uninsured motorists because I KNOW that protects ME from someone who has nothing to loose, even though driving without insurance in Va will get you a $500 fine or you spend some time in the county cage.

As I posted earlier I bought a truck from a kid who had driven 11 years without a license or insurance. What I have seen driven into my shop, as far as cars that are rolling disaster waiting to happen, provides me with plenty of reasons to protect myself.

We carry $1000 deductible insurance on our home, which is paid for and worth over $300K even in the current market. It represents 16 months of my sweat equitly and if a tree totals the house I am covered. Same company for 40 years.

Xist nailed it, blame yourself for allowing lawyers to run the show. Of the attorneys, by the attorneys, and for the attorneys. Jefferson understood the dangers of giving lawyers that kind of power and tried to limit them to a per capita 1 in 1600 citizens.

Insurance protects me form the stupidity of irresponsible people and acts of nature as well as accidents. For me that is cheap considering that we could loose our lifes work due to one irresposible idiot.

I was thinking about how long it has been since I had to actually skid my tires in a panic stop. I wrote about it here on my bike when the car infront of me slammed into the car in front of it at about 35-40 MPH. That's the only time in years I have even come close. I know some states have "no fault" insurance, where you insure yourself and those who drive without it risk their assets and arses.

regards
Mech
Old 12-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post

I know some states have "no fault" insurance, where you insure yourself and those who drive without it risk their assets and arses.

regards
Mech
Mech,

"No fault" insurance is rather different than the way you describe it. For a fuller explanation click here.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
america, driving, insurance, insure, usa