View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #59 (permalink)
godscountry
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
"So what all have you done?"

Current Mods: DIY LED marker lamps and 3rd brake light, L.R.R. rear tires at 38 psi, regular tires up front at 48 psi, removed passenger seat, ds front seat belt conversion to pillar mount, Oem block heater installed, removed AC pump, mount, plumbing and condensor. Removed plumbing to stock cold air intake for winter use. grill block with hot weather tear offs + packing tape on large gaps and over slots on flat style hubcaps (use Duck brand crystal clear high performance). Did a partial rear under tray. Both exterior mirrors removed and replaced with internal walmart convexes (added motorcycle mirror on outside of ds door so I don't get pulled over anymore). Injector kill switch (extremely handy). Coroplast partial rear wheel skirts, and coroplast kammback (big help). Reduced weight due to strategic rust holes. Made a coroplast airdam that is 4 inches tall and rides about 6 inches off the ground. Usually 5w-30 but trying 5w-20 on my september 2007 oil change for the cooler weather. I usually park my wipers straight up. Just started using a coolant sensor mod to lean up cold starts. toe-in aligned to zero.

Driving style; use rural rds and keep speeds under 45mph, when on the hwy I stay around 55mph (that's the minimum for the ones on my commute) EOC on downgrades of sufficient length, EOC to all intersections requiring a stop or turn. Just EOC anywhere of benefit. Restarts are 5th gear bump starts whenever possible. For take offs upshift early use plenty of throttle. Around town I putt along in 5th gear all the way down to 20 mph. I back the car out of the garage by pushing it into the turn around.

Main thing is to have the engine off whenever it's not needed .

Edit: Keeping speed down in a metro is very very important. If you can keep it under 45 mph you will be greatly rewarded.

I think that about covers it.
I admire your efforts,and you should be rewarded, but in reality you give up a lot. We can build ultra high mileage ,range vehicles that not only go 100 -300 mpg, but retain a nice comfortable and safe ride. It has been done many times as a concept, no one will risk cutting into their profit margins to produce a good long range or high mileage electric or and ICE powered vehicle that does it all. Even your basic Metro could be sectioned length wise, made into a tandem seat narrow vehicle, use good quality seats, better suspension,3 cylinder diesel,4 speed auto etc. Of course it is a lot of work, but my point is, a manufacture could easily do this, with a tilting front and back suspension and by sectioning it, you have a big weight reduction, hardly any retooling on the body and attaching points. If it was made out of carbon,fiberglass,then it would be even easier, just pull a plug from both sides of the vehicle, section it lengthwise and now you have a high milelage hotrod.just my 2 cents,keep up the good work and thanks