Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i stay in the 30s. However, I'm thinking of getting new tires that might help? Any suggestions?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Impressive! Thanks for the tips. I never considered the 5th gear thing.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #53 (permalink)
live, breath, Isuzu-Ds

puddle jumper - '93 Suzuki sidekick base model

energizer bunny - '86 isuzu trooper base model

Clifford the big red dog - '84 GM S-10 durango
in regards to the original posting, if i missed it im sorry but.....

the metro shown is a 4door, was this metro converted to a XFI drive train because ive not heard of a XFI 4door.
or is it the stock 1.0L and manual trans, that 4doors get?

another possibly, was a trans used that has the 3.52~ gearing out of a newer 1.3L metro? plus a XFI engine?
1993 sidekick my MPG toy, epa rating 26.
i get 29/31 with stock drive train.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #54 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
As far as I know, it's the stock drivetrain, non-XFi.

You can read about his mods & driving technique in this post: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...html#post51737

And his garage entry is here: Details: the metro experience (retired) - 1994 geo metro 4 dr HB Fuel Economy - EcoModder.com

Driving technique is the big contributor to his numbers. 2 most important tips noted:

1) his commute allows him to cruise at 45 mph or less

2) engine off as much as possible
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the metro experience (retired) - '94 geo metro 4 dr HB
90 day: 66.44 mpg (US)
Hey MetroMPG, thanks for answering some questions in this thread for me. I sold the geo over a year ago and haven't been on here much . I miss that little car and wish it wouldn't have been a victim of the road salt rot. Unfortunately I just didn't have the time to put into it to keep it safely together .

Best tank= 81.23 mpg on 07-01-2008
Longest range= 791 miles on 9.74 gallons
Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaguy View Post
I'm thinking I'm not as smart as everyone on here. I signed up because of your "retired" car and DIY only available to those who sign up. Well, DIY tells me how to get rid of a side mirror.

I was hoping for a DIY on seat belt conversion from door to pillar. Any help?

And your car is the reason I signed up and have learned many new habits to adopt
I'm going from my fuzzy memory here;
I bought my car with the doors already changed over from a Sprint. The seat belts were not safe as it came. There were no lap belts, just a diagonal piece of belt that was tied to the inner door frame with the buckle piece at the other end.

I went to the junkyard and found a car with the belts and reels I needed. Seems like it was a geo metro 4 door sedan, but I can't remember. Anyway, my metro already had the mounting holes in the door pillars, so I just bolted the stuff from the junkyard in place. Seems like the upper mount needed a nut on the backside for the bolt that holds the belt support near your shoulder. I believe the reel mounts already had the nuts welded in place.

Hope this helps

Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #57 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Another one bites the dust!

So, out of curiosity, what are you driving now?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Another one bites the dust!

So, out of curiosity, what are you driving now?
I'm driving a 1996 Saturn sc2 5spd. I like it a lot, but it sure takes more effort to hit the 50mpg mark, especially since I've been a bit of a slacker . Nice to be able to use my scangauge in it too.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
"So what all have you done?"

Current Mods: DIY LED marker lamps and 3rd brake light, L.R.R. rear tires at 38 psi, regular tires up front at 48 psi, removed passenger seat, ds front seat belt conversion to pillar mount, Oem block heater installed, removed AC pump, mount, plumbing and condensor. Removed plumbing to stock cold air intake for winter use. grill block with hot weather tear offs + packing tape on large gaps and over slots on flat style hubcaps (use Duck brand crystal clear high performance). Did a partial rear under tray. Both exterior mirrors removed and replaced with internal walmart convexes (added motorcycle mirror on outside of ds door so I don't get pulled over anymore). Injector kill switch (extremely handy). Coroplast partial rear wheel skirts, and coroplast kammback (big help). Reduced weight due to strategic rust holes. Made a coroplast airdam that is 4 inches tall and rides about 6 inches off the ground. Usually 5w-30 but trying 5w-20 on my september 2007 oil change for the cooler weather. I usually park my wipers straight up. Just started using a coolant sensor mod to lean up cold starts. toe-in aligned to zero.

Driving style; use rural rds and keep speeds under 45mph, when on the hwy I stay around 55mph (that's the minimum for the ones on my commute) EOC on downgrades of sufficient length, EOC to all intersections requiring a stop or turn. Just EOC anywhere of benefit. Restarts are 5th gear bump starts whenever possible. For take offs upshift early use plenty of throttle. Around town I putt along in 5th gear all the way down to 20 mph. I back the car out of the garage by pushing it into the turn around.

Main thing is to have the engine off whenever it's not needed .

Edit: Keeping speed down in a metro is very very important. If you can keep it under 45 mph you will be greatly rewarded.

I think that about covers it.
I admire your efforts,and you should be rewarded, but in reality you give up a lot. We can build ultra high mileage ,range vehicles that not only go 100 -300 mpg, but retain a nice comfortable and safe ride. It has been done many times as a concept, no one will risk cutting into their profit margins to produce a good long range or high mileage electric or and ICE powered vehicle that does it all. Even your basic Metro could be sectioned length wise, made into a tandem seat narrow vehicle, use good quality seats, better suspension,3 cylinder diesel,4 speed auto etc. Of course it is a lot of work, but my point is, a manufacture could easily do this, with a tilting front and back suspension and by sectioning it, you have a big weight reduction, hardly any retooling on the body and attaching points. If it was made out of carbon,fiberglass,then it would be even easier, just pull a plug from both sides of the vehicle, section it lengthwise and now you have a high milelage hotrod.just my 2 cents,keep up the good work and thanks
Old 05-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

whitey - '95 toyota corolla dx
metro years

Hi guys...not sure if this is "the right" place to post this, but, ....wondering if any of you can comment on which year(s) of the metro/swift/etc are "most fuel efficient", or best suited to eco mods. I hope to find a 5 speed, with a smaller engine, but otherwise what attributes would be best to look for? Big congrats on some superb mileage achievements!......John

Reply  Post New Thread