View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
CARB's ZEV credit system is not cash, at the start or finish. It is a policy-generated measure balancing "green" emmisions requirements with market timing flexibility. The purpose is to build on earlier policies that have already made Cali a hot spot for lots of electrics and natural gas vehicles. It encourages innovation by constructing incentives in a market while also allowing flexibility for the manufacturers. It's good industrial policy, and it is working. These streets around hereare full of electric and natural gas cars. I'm seeingan explosion of Volts and Model S vehicles inparticular.
Regardless if it's cash, tax credit, hot oil massage, or other; someone is paying for it. Subsidies for all vehicles should be ended, including electrics, hybrids, and gasoline. That goes for oil subsidies too.

There is already a huge tax incentive for electric vehicle owners to buy electric. They avoid 100% of the road tax that is collected at the gasoline pump, and they still enjoy use of all public roads.

This will eventually have to be corrected, but for now, I can certainly say that robbing Peter to pay Paul for his expensive luxury electric vehicle is an outrage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
and let's not even discuss that ALL Teslas are owned by the well off. So the poor who buy a mazda 3 in san Antonio for $13,000 and finance it for 60 months are paying taxes so the rich can buy a tesla......right
That's exactly what is wrong with this picture. People that buy a Leaf get a Federal $8000 tax credit on top of local and state credits, and Nissan gets "carbon credits" even though most electricity is still produced by fossil fuels. In the end, there is no measurable benefit to the environment, rich people get their expensive vehicle for a substantially lower subsidized price, and the less wealthy have no incentive to buy. Those with less than $8,000 in Federal tax liability do not get the full $8,000. This is the opposite of a progressive system.

This rant is coming from someone that wants to buy the Leaf and can stand to gain from the subsidies. Just because it could benefit me doesn't make it right.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
mcrews (12-23-2013), mechman600 (12-23-2013)