View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
"Any balancing is better than none." True that.

Gave it another overnight and this morning the meter was showing 179. I haven't taken a reading directly off the pack and probably won't - It's a PITB to pull the seat bottom, then the back, just to get a reading directly off those terminals.

Here's an interesting tidbit: Hybrid Automotive's instructions say you can either disconnect the 12v under the hood OR remove the IMA fuse. I did the battery disconnect the first time and everything behaved exactly as described. I did the fuse this morning and was surprised: the battery display did not drop to zero and behavior was a bit wonky for my morning ride to work. It showed about a half-full battery the whole time. Fearing a computer not realizing just how full that battery really was, I stayed out of it, softpedaling and freewheeling instead of availing myself of assist and regen.

We paused at Panera for breakfast - Christmas Eve is going to be a slow day so we can take it easy for a change - and I unhooked the battery while we were relaxing by the gas fire (this is my favorite feature about Panera. That and Perry, great guy). Finish up, hook up the 12v, boom - zeroed battery gauge, followed by a brisk rise to a full reading. Perfect.

So this early in the game, it looks to me like 10 minutes of the IMA fuse being pulled isn't enough to reset the computer, or perhaps I somehow misread the fuse diagram. That's possible enough. But after two days of overnight balancing, the pack seems to be performing much, much better.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.