View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome to the site! Sounds like a great car, great numbers you are reporting. Some ideas for a new car owner that won't void a warranty and will save you $$ ... start a fuel log here at EM to monitor progress over time. Keep tire pressure at maximum sidewall. Many of us go well beyond max and reap greater benefits. Shut the car off at lights 20 seconds or longer. Drive the speed limit or slightly below. Study the list of hypermile techniques. You'll get into the race-like strategy game of judging traffic and the road for maximum fuel economy effect. All that stuff is free...

Small outlays of cash and mods that won't void a warranty: get a scangauge or ultragauge and calibrate it because the variety of data offered by these instruments will greatly enhance your hypermiling awareness. Make an airdam using a simple and cheap material such as lawn edging. Search the site to see the various ways they can be mounted... it can often be done without any new holes in the underside (non-visible) portion of the front bumper cover. Airdams have been shown beneficial for FE repeatedly, especially if your car does not have a complete undertray ...

There is more.... others might add...

Welcome. This is the best site around for this purpose, bar none.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (01-02-2014)