Thread: HI to everyone
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Pherable.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by demidestructo View Post
I am talking to pherable.net to tune a ecu for mpg.

The pherable.net product you refer to I am guessing is the Powerbox, and I think you'll find lots of people here recommending caution. Their claims sound moderate and the approach is clever marketing (other ECU tunes are very expensive because they offer so much more than we really need). But the one-size-fits-all approach has dangers. They tested on a 2006 Equinox, which will have a variety of features a 1992 Civic DX will not have, such as a knock sensor, for example. If you are talking with them, email them and ask about what sensors their box reads/requires.... wide-band O2? Our Civics don't have them, but I would not be surprised if a 2006 Equinox did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demidestructo View Post
I also have a Det local tuner that will custom tune if I want (500 not likely) What do you think?
Not sure what a Det local tuner is... what's that? Detroit?

EDIT: went searching for you on this site for commentary on the "powerbox" and found this highly negative review: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post183981
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 12-26-2013 at 02:46 PM..