View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

Thanks Sendler. I've gotten many good insights from your posts which i'm starting to grasp now.

Terry's "beast" is the runaway weight scenario i'm trying to avoid. I'm hoping having a lighter weight will get me into a zone of peak efficiency that will give more range per kwh and compensate for 1/2 to 1/3 his battery pack. Everything is to be scaled down from the expensive range. A small pack can have 120 miles of range in the city, so i'm hoping aerodynamics will give me that range at highway speeds. Optimal aerodynamics is the only solution. There is no point to going 70% of a boat tail, chopping the end off and calling it good enough.

I probably won't reach my goal, but it doesn't hurt to aim high. I'm finding that compromise is the name of the game. I really want to make something that i'll prefer to ride to my car. Or else i'll just be burning gas most days with an electric vehicle in the garage. Frontal area is the biggest issue. The difference between high and extreme efficiency is a razor thin margin of tens of wh/mi. The difference is square inches of frontal area.

But doing that kills most of the practicality of the vehicle. If i want a practical vehicle, i'm hoping i can get within no less than 70% of my goal at highway speeds. Combined cycle, i should nearly reach it.

What is the point of hyper efficiency in an electric motorcycle? Useful single charge range.

Last edited by sheepdog 44; 01-02-2014 at 03:04 AM..