View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 02:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

The search for a US Honda Innova clone.

I've been looking for a Honda Innova/ Wave clone in America for a while now with much frustration. I've decided Importing is a no go, even if i could bypass customs by declaring it for an electric vehicle conversion. It's hard finding a large wheeled scooter in America! These are my two picks for conversion.

My first choice among the available clones is the Kymco People 50-250. A big plus is the scooter is designed to be capable of freeway speeds, unlike the Innova and clones such as the Honda Super Cub. 17 inch wheels, the cutoff being 16 inch wheel minimum, which precludes 90% of "underbone" style scooters. It had to be an "underbone" frame for feet forward semi recumbant seating. Telescopic front forks, and what looks to be a decent suspension for the deletion of all gas components, and the added weight weight of about 120 lbs of batteries, 28-32 pound motor, assorted electronic components maybe 50 lbs, a complete fairing of unknown weight. Suspension could be beefed up if necessary.

Here is a diagram of the frame which can be bought for $300. Steel tube frame is a plus! The frame is the most important part, as every body panel must go.
OEM Parts

My second choice is the Honda cub. The progenitor of the Wave/ innova series. It's slightly smaller, nice big wheels, skinnier tires, with plentiful old models. Don't like the front suspension. However it's lightweight stamped frame is not confidence inspiring. I have issues with it's highway worthiness seeing that they usually only have a 50cc engine not capable of greater than 55mph.

Last edited by sheepdog 44; 01-02-2014 at 03:31 AM..